The D.A.R.E. America Board of Directors is pleased to offer a $20,000 scholarship to recognize academic excellence and reward students who remain true to the goals of the D.A.R.E. program.
This scholarship is awarded annually to a qualified 12th grade student to attend the university or college of their choice. Payment will be made directly to the educational institution over a period of four academic years, not to exceed $5,000 per year.
The requirements for eligibility are as follows:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have completed junior year of high school at time of application
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must not be related to a current D.A.R.E. officer/administrator
- Must apply only to an accredited institution (4 years) in the U.S.
- Must lead a lifestyle consistent with the goals and objectives of D.A.R.E.
- Must be a member of the D.A.R.E. America Youth Advisory Board
Applicants must submit a portfolio that includes the following:
- D.A.R.E. Scholarship Application Form
- Scholarship Tracking Form
- An essay, 500-word maximum, addressing the topic “D.A.R.E.: How it has impacted my life; how I will use these skills to contribute to society.”
- Written summary documenting academic achievements and extracurricular activities that reflect the spirit and goals of D.A.R.E.
- Written summary documenting current role with the Youth Advisory Board
- Official sealed transcript of grades and scholastic scores
- A letter of recommendation from a school administrator/educator
- A letter of recommendation for outstanding achievement in community service from a source other than school administrators/educators or law enforcement officials
- Applicant must submit their scholarship application portfolio to their D.A.R.E. officer by March 09, 2018. The application should be submitted through the student’s last D.A.R.E. officer or an active D.A.R.E. officer of the department in their community.
- D.A.R.E. officer must complete Section A of the Scholarship Tracking Form.
- D.A.R.E. officer must forward the scholarship application, accompanied by a completed Scholarship Tracking Form, to their respective D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator by March 23, 2018.
- D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator must review and approve application, and submit no later than April 16, 2018 to:
Attn: YAB Scholarship
9800 La Cienega Blvd, Suite 401
Inglewood, CA 90301
The D.A.R.E. America Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make a final selection by May 14, 2016. The award recipient will be notified by a D.A.R.E. America representative. The selected student will be required to sign a letter of award and agreement.
Invitations will be extended to the award recipient, a parent/guardian, and/or the D.A.R.E. Officer to attend the Annual D.A.R.E. International Training Conference on July 10-12, 2018 in Orlando, FL, where a formal presentation of the award will be made during the Award Ceremony.
Questions regarding the scholarship application should be directed to Jacqueline Ho at (800) 223-3273 ext. 408 or email@example.com.
2018 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION TIMELINE
March 09 – Student submits scholarship application to your D.A.R.E. Officer
March 23 – D.A.R.E. Officer forwards application with tracking form to State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator
April 16 – State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator forwards application and tracking form to D.A.R.E. America
May 14 – Scholarship Committee reviews and makes selection
July 12 – Formal presentation of Scholarship Award during the D.A.R.E. Conference in Orlando, FL
Samuel Miranda Ferreira, D.A.R.E. Youth Advocacy Board Member from Brazil, was at a large D.A.R.E./Proerd graduation recently. He said, "Here in Brazil things are doing great! I am working with my State Police and attending to lots of D.A.R.E. graduations and classes...
Julia Manning, D.A.R.E. America Youth Advocacy Board Member from New Jersey, completed another part of her project: Coffee with a Cop!!
It was held on Saturday, November 18, 2017, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon at a local Starbucks in Park Ridge.
After a state-wide search, an Alamogordo high school student has been selected to represent New Mexico as part of the Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) Youth Advocacy Board. Bowen Perry, 16, was named to the position during the New Mexico D.A.R.E. Officers...
“I got the great opportunity to work with D.A.R.E. Officer JP Benitez at the Benton County Fair on Wednesday the 23rd and Thursday the 24th. We handed out information pamphlets to parents and interacted with children who were past and future D.A.R.E. graduates!”
– Danielle Littrell, Youth Advocacy Board Member from Washington
YAB Members with Retro Bill in Orlando, Florida. Top: Jacqueline Ho, Marlon Sanders MS. Middle: Kobe Blackwell - AZ, Tori Streater - TX, Annessa Masterson - OK, Spencer Flanders – NV. Middle: Mistie Bell-Renfro, Brighton Turner – NM, Megan Kirchoff – MO, Gabe Nummer –...
Dona Ana County, NM — The New Mexico Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) Officers’ Association held its annual training conference in Silver City this month, which was attended by D.A.R.E. officers from the Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office. The annual training...