The D.A.R.E. America Board of Directors is pleased to offer a $20,000 scholarship to recognize academic excellence and reward students who remain true to the goals of the D.A.R.E. program.
This scholarship is awarded annually to a qualified 12th grade student to attend the university or college of their choice. Payment will be made directly to the educational institution over a period of four academic years, not to exceed $5,000 per year.
The requirements for eligibility are as follows:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have completed junior year of high school at time of application
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must not be related to a current D.A.R.E. officer/administrator
- Must apply only to an accredited institution (4 years) in the U.S.
- Must lead a lifestyle consistent with the goals and objectives of D.A.R.E.
- Must be a member of the D.A.R.E. America Youth Advisory Board
Applicants must submit a portfolio that includes the following:
- D.A.R.E. Scholarship Application Form
- Scholarship Tracking Form
- An essay, 500-word maximum, addressing the topic “D.A.R.E.: How it has impacted my life; how I will use these skills to contribute to society.”
- Written summary documenting academic achievements and extracurricular activities that reflect the spirit and goals of D.A.R.E.
- Written summary documenting current role with the Youth Advisory Board
- Official sealed transcript of grades and scholastic scores
- A letter of recommendation from a school administrator/educator
- A letter of recommendation for outstanding achievement in community service from a source other than school administrators/educators or law enforcement officials
- Applicant must submit their scholarship application portfolio to their D.A.R.E. officer by March 01, 2019. The application should be submitted through the student’s last D.A.R.E. officer or an active D.A.R.E. officer of the department in their community.
- D.A.R.E. officer must complete Section A of the Scholarship Tracking Form.
- D.A.R.E. officer must forward the scholarship application, accompanied by a completed Scholarship Tracking Form, to their respective D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator by March 15, 2019.
- D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator must review and approve application, and submit no later than March 29, 2019 to:
Attn: Jacqueline Ho
400 Corporate Pointe, Suite 500
Culver City, CA 90230
The D.A.R.E. America Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make a final selection by April 26, 2019. The award recipient will be notified by a D.A.R.E. America representative. The selected student will be required to sign a letter of award and agreement.
Invitations will be extended to the award recipient, a parent/guardian, and/or the D.A.R.E. Officer to attend the Annual D.A.R.E. International Training Conference on June 24 – 27, 2019 in Phoenix, AZ, where a formal presentation of the award will be made during the Award Ceremony.
Questions regarding the scholarship application should be directed to Jacqueline Ho at (800) 223-3273 ext. 408 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION TIMELINE
March 01 – Student submits scholarship application to your D.A.R.E. Officer
March 15 – D.A.R.E. Officer forwards application with tracking form to State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator
March 29 – State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator forwards application and tracking form to D.A.R.E. America
April 26 – Scholarship Committee reviews and makes selection
June TBD – Formal presentation of Scholarship Award during the D.A.R.E. Conference in Orlando, FL
FORTVILLE — Indiana’s new representative on an international youth board for drug abuse education is from Hancock County. Maitlyn Griner, a Greenfield resident and sophomore at Mt. Vernon High School, is settling into her new role of representing the state on the...
On yesterday, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office hosted its National Night Out celebration at the Home Depot (Chantilly). I had the privilege of being a part of this community event while representing D.A.R.E. There were first responders, The Pike Road Volunteer...
Allison Littrell, Youth Advocacy Board Member from Washington, at Saint Joe’s Elementary School D.A.R.E. Graduation
Recently, Allison Littrell, Youth Advocacy Board Member from Washington, had the opportunity to speak at Saint Joe's Elementary School for the D.A.R.E. graduation. Allison said, "I had an amazing time being able to interact with students, explaining my role in...
On Monday, May 27th, a bunch of D.A.R.E. students helped D.A.R.E. Officers Greg Santangelo and Kyle Dutcher during the Memorial Day Parade. Brett Unger from Creative Pavers in Park Ridge donated his time and resources with painting, decorating, and pulling the...
On May 15, Rebecca Alves, D.A.R.E. Youth Advocacy Board Member from Brazil, visited the High Command of the Military Police of Minas Gerais State. She had the opportunity to speak to 44 colonels/commanders about the importance of D.A.R.E./PROERD and discuss public...
Report from Julia Manning, D.A.R.E. Youth Advocacy Board Member from New Jersey: East Brook School Day 1
D.A.R.E. Officer Santangelo and I just completed the first day at East Brook Elementary school for 1st and 2nd grade! We did one 1st grade class and two 2nd grade classes. These kids were so engaged and had a lot of questions to ask about emergencies, 9-1-1 and what...
On March 21st, Julia Manning, D.A.R.E. America Youth Advocacy Board Member from New Jersey, spoke at the West Ridge and East Brook Elementary Schools' D.A.R.E. Graduation. Julia said, "It was a great night and the kids looked awesome in their D.A.R.E. shirts," and...
The January 19 pancake breakfast fundraiser for Tracy D.A.R.E., hosted by California's Youth Advocacy Board Member Richard Smith, was a huge success. The net proceeds were about $1,500, nearly double the $800 that was raised last year. Officer Steve Abercrombie...
Brianna Binder, D.A.R.E. Youth Advocacy Board Member from South Carolina and Dutch Fork High School's Miss Silver Fox, was at Brockman elementary to speak at the D.A.R.E. graduation. She attended the D.A.R.E graduation program on January 17, one of many appearances to...
Copyright 2019 D.A.R.E. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright 2019 D.A.R.E. All Rights Reserved.