by Craig Seibel
Did you know that D.A.R.E. America and the Gervais Police Department recently co-hosted D.A.R.E. Officer Training at the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training? Twenty-one officers from Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona attended this class in Salem. Law enforcement agencies from Oregon include: Coos Bay Police Department, Grants Pass Department of Public Safety, Madras Police Department, Marion County Sheriff’s Office, Reedsport Police Department, Sweet Home Police Department, Tualatin Police Department, Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office, and the Union County Sheriff’s Office.
Police Chiefs and Sheriffs throughout the United States are taking a new look at D.A.R.E. Many are surprised to find that Drug Abuse Resistance Education or D.A.R.E. has changed and is now better than ever. For example:
- Even though there was a decline in agencies participating, D.A.R.E. is still the number one education and prevention program in the world.
- D.A.R.E. is taught throughout the United States of America …and in 52 other countries!
- D.A.R.E. is now “keepin’ it REAL!” keepin’ it REAL is evidence-based with new research and data to show its effectiveness.
- The U.S. Surgeon General commends the efficacy of the new D.A.R.E. program.
- The Scientific American Magazine proclaimed, “The New D.A.R.E. Program: This One Works!”
- D.A.R.E. now has an Elementary, Middle, and High School curricula. We offer multiple years of intervention.
- D.A.R.E. provides Opioid and Over the Counter (OTC) / Prescription Drug (Rx) lessons.
- D.A.R.E. includes Bullying Prevention and Vaping Education.
- D.A.R.E. recently partnered with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and now offers More Than Sad: Teen Mental Health.
- D.A.R.E. also utilizes Social Emotional Learning Theory.
Furthermore, there is so much discussion about police legitimacy and procedural justice these days that our broader community needs to know what the D.A.R.E. Officers are doing behind the scenes. According to Chief Mark Chase of the Gervais Police Department, “The D.A.R.E. program has changed so much and is growing. I truly believe if police agencies want to make a difference and be seen as “Legitimate” in their community, implementing and adopting the D.A.R.E. program is a must.”
The D.A.R.E. program has positively impacted thousands of kids in Oregon. I encourage you to take a new look at D.A.R.E. This is a great time to start a D.A.R.E. program in your community. Please visit www.dare.org for more information. As the Oregon D.A.R.E. Training Coordinator, I am here to help! Feel free to call or email me today.
After two weeks of training, 11 Conroe ISD police officers graduated from the D.A.R.E. training program for law enforcement. The district hosted both the training and a graduation ceremony for the 20 officers who participated in the program…
The officers of the Etowah County's School Resource Officers Division pose with Sheriff Jonathon Horton and Etowah County Schools Superintendent Alan Cosby. The ECSO, the Etowah County School System and the Etowah County Commission share the costs of providing SROs in...
WARM SPRINGS, Ore. (KTVZ) -- More than 600 students and families in Warm Springs face a new reality, with schools closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Warm Springs K-8 Academy School Resource Officer Kevin O’Brien. “There are parents who are used to...
D.A.R.E. Iowa hosted a full 37th D.A.R.E. Officer Training school with 24 police officers, sheriff’s deputies and U.S. Military per-sonnel from different states at Camp Dodge on Sept. 8 — Sept. 20,2019, in Johnston, Iowa. Members of the D.A.R.E. Iowa Training Team came from Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Iowa…
OHIO COUNTY, W.Va. (WTRF)- An enhanced curriculum training was hosted by Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) America to instruct D.A.R.E. law enforcement officers on ever-changing challenges. A new kindergarten through 12th grade curricula has recently been...
Copyright © 2021 D.A.R.E. America. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2021 D.A.R.E. America.
All Rights Reserved.